12.10.2008

Library 2.0 ~ Thing 16

I really like the following, see entire article here...

What are libraries? Libraries are not just collections of documents and books, they are conversations, they are convocations of people, ideas, and artifacts in dynamic exchange. Libraries are not merely in communities, they are communities: they preserve and promote community memories; they provide mentors not only for the exploration of stored memory, but also for the creation of new artifacts of memory. What was the library of the past? A symbol of a society that cared about its attainments, that treasured ideas, that looked ahead multiple generations. Librarians were stewards, trainers, intimate with the knowledge base and the minds who produced it. Librarians today are not just inventory management biobots: they are people with a unique understanding of the documents they compile and catalog, and the relationships among those documents.

I so agree! Libraries are communities! That being said, we grow...and not always at the same pace. I'm a risk-taker. Most of the time, especially when it comes to technology. Others...not so much. There are some people who won't even check their email. To me, I don't know if I could survive not having email! The thought...*gasp* Some are afraid hate change. They simply won't do it. To each their own...but we've got to face it. The times they are a-changing. Step outside of the box. Try something new! It's really hard for me to "do what has always been done". I shake things up...and I think I'm off topic.



I guess what I'm getting at is that I really like the concept of Library 2.0. We strive because of our patrons, whether they come in the door or use the online databases. We've got to change with our patrons. While some are getting older and older, we've got to adapt to those who are starting young. Let's give them all that we can. Start them out on the right foot. The 21st Century is calling...so let's answer.

No comments: